Thursday, February 11, 2010

Anyone seen the copy of Old Yeller?


In Chapter 5 of Routman she discussed classroom libraries, and I have seen my share.

Strangely enough, it is in my current placement where I have unarguably the most amazing MT known to man that the classroom library is the least loved and used. The kids in my class go to library each week and check out their three books, as well as using the public library constantly, but I don't think the classroom library is used much at all.

The books are all paperback, a bit dog-eared and in clear plastic tubs with the first letter of the Author's last name on the front. You cannot see the book covers and you have to turn the bins sideways to see the spines and figure out what is in the narrow bins.

There were none of this year's battle of the books, nor any of last years. I asked if many folks order through Scholastic and she said that no, by fifth grade there are not many orders.

I inquired about the check-our procedure and there is none, my MT said that the only kids who follow the procedure are the ones who bring the books back anyway, so why bother? When I asked if she lost many books she replied "tons."

This is one of the best teachers I have seen, her scores are through the roof, parents feel heard and valued, she has 10 IEP and 504 kids out of 26 in her class and they all work cohesively throughout the day (for the most part) So why the non-interest in the library? Why 8 different Roald Dahl books, 4 Laura Ingalls Wilder and nothing written in the last four years?

The kids are reading. Their parents are readers in this school and they get them books. They are not always so accomodating with math homework or science experiments; they expect that to all happen at school. Perhaps that drives this somewhat. And my MT reads math books for pleasure and does Sudoku; when we talk about the Lightning Thief or Hunger Games she has little interest.

What would I do? I would (and will) paw through the district's boxes of books for great novels that interest me and my kids. I would display them, jacket out, to draw them in. I would have princess' saving the lives of the entire village and sons of Poisidon saving the world. I adore books.

The issue for me is deciding what is an appropriate age level. My fifth graders are reading Hunger Games, but it is not in the library at school. Maybe teen books are better left to parents?

2 comments:

  1. How sad that the classroom Library is not used. Does she do 'book talks' about what is in her library? Has she read the books in her library so that she can recommond a fit for a student?

    I know that you will be great a promoting the the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    I am confident that you will have one of the best classroom libraries in the world. I am slightly jealous of just HOW MUCH you truely enjoy reading (both on your own and with your kids). Your students are going to be very lucky to have a teacher that is so engaged in their level books, as intrigued as they are and just as excited when the next book in a series comes out!

    Can you help me set up my classroom library too?? :)

    Much love,
    Tina

    ThenTinaWasLike

    ReplyDelete